Are You Berry Compliant? What Does Berry Compliant Mean?
By Mary Phelan, PMP – Program Manager, Government & Defense Market
The Berry Amendment is a piece of legislation that prohibits the Department of Defense (DoD) from using appropriated funds or anything accessible and used by the DoD in order to procure fabrics, clothing, yarns, fibers, other made-up textiles, food, measuring or hand tools that are not grown, reused, reprocessed or produced in the U.S. There are some exceptions due to the unavailability, cost or manufacturing inefficiencies of U.S. based production.
This Amendment has helped the clothing and textile production companies in the U.S. to prosper.
At Polo Custom Products, we understand the implications and requirements surrounding Berry Compliance, which is reflected in the services and products we provide.
Defining Berry Compliance
Essentially Berry Compliance helps promote the purchase of U.S. goods over other foreign made goods. The Amendment requires certain organizations to purchase products made in the U.S.
The Berry Amendment was first instituted in 1941 to help preserve the United States industrial base during the time of war.
The Amendment applies to both prime general contractors and subcontractors. The types of products affected by the Berry Amendment include the following:
- Clothing and the materials and components thereof which may include headwear, outerwear, underwear, footwear, nightwear, hand wear, hosiery, badges, belts and insignia.
- Cotton and natural fiber products
- Tents and their components, including covers and tarpaulins
- Spun silk yarn for cartridge cloth
- Woven silk or woven silk blends
- Wool (fiber or yarn contained in materials, fabrics or manufactured articles)
- Synthetic fabric
- Coated synthetic fabric
- All textile fibers and yarns used in such fabrics
- Any piece of equipment containing or manufacturing from such yarns, fibers or materials manufactured in the U.S.
Do You Need to Be Berry Compliant?
Is your project affiliated with the DoD? If so, you are required to be Berry compliant. If your project has no connection to the Department of Defense or DoD funds, then you are not obligated to be Berry compliant.
For information about custom sewing, forming, film & fabric welding and supply chain management, contact us at Polo Custom Products.